Gel stains provide a very rich color and can be applied with a wipe-on or brush-on method. Thank you, , Hi Glenda! It has help up wonderfully! Golden Pine. But that could have to do with the variations in the pattern. Like a black dress . It really was not a problem at all though! ©2012-2020 Artsy Chicks Rule® is a registered trademark. Thank you for the kind words too! ONE photo may be used, provided that FULL AND CLEAR CREDIT is given to Artsy Chicks Rule® with appropriate and specific direction and link back to the original content. Oh shoot!! This is definitely something anyone can do. Hope you get yours done soon!! Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. :). I tried a wash coat with the wiping stain … for pricing and availability. ), Amazing Furniture Makeovers – and a GIVEAWAY! ), $8 Ladder Back Chair Makeover (simple wood update! :) OH gosh…wallpaper removal is no fun. While gel stain does go on thick and sit on the surface of the wood, I found that you can still see and feel the natural wood grain beneath, unlike paint. This is one project I am really excited about after seeing your wonderful results! ), Waterproof Hardwood Flooring Update (beach condo remodel), Basket Makeover For Spring (with water based stain), DIY Crown Molding (easy way to do wide, custom look…, Home Remodel Updates (all the fun stuff! Sometimes it’s hard to get to the “finishing touches,” but this really brings it all together, Nancy! Love this stuff! Beautiful job! I shared this project as I was doing it on Instagram Stories. Exterior 450 Stain Colors … Don't Miss a Thing!! In stock $ 11. (the color is off in these photos because I had the hall and stairway light on). The stairs look fabulous with the flooring! Do you do it to mimic wood? :) xoxo. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I’m saving this post so I can refer to it if I get brave enough to try staining my cabinets. That is so true, especially when followed up by more DIY work to be done! Mainly because I thought it’d be tough to match up real wood, oak treads with the rustic coloring of the laminate flooring we installed. I’m on Pinterest, and rejoicing since I found your post!! Yes, that was a concern for us too. Nancy, your stairs look gorgeous, great job!! Its Thick ‘n Ezy® formula allows easy application and better color control, necessary to achieve a rich, uniform, deep color … Thanks Nancy! Plus,Get My FREE ebook,"Creating Fabulous Finishes"! ), Use green FrogTape…listen to my advice here. Custom Colors can be achieved by tinting Old Masters Natural Tint Base, or tinting any of the ready-mixed stain colors. I’ve been very happy with this project, for sure. Gel Stain. You will want to lightly sand them and make sure they are no longer sticky before you begin. ;). Innovative, huh?? Good luck and have fun!! Pine is a soft wood and is really difficult to stain without getting a splotchy finish. Gel Stain is especially recommended for woods such as pine, birch, maple, poplar… And I didn’t have to end up painting that pretty wood grain with white paint. Just dip the rag in the gel stain and wipe onto the stair treads. :) xo. Depends on how dark they are, but it will cover somewhat. :) And all of the things you’ve updated!! never had as many compliments on a paint color!! ), DIY Faux Board & Batten (simple and quick! Makes these kinds of jobs so easy for the average homeowner. Planning to change my stairway and this will certainly do the trick. ;) But it was time to get with it and get it done! :) xo, They look SO good!!! It’s an amazing color! Coffee. The pre-stain is easily … (the color is off in these photos because I had the hall and stairway light on) … Nicely done!!! LOL, I absolutely love this!! however, seeing the new ‘color’ next to your beautiful dark floors, i can see why they looked orange. Brushable White Enamel. Love the tip about the printer paper. The gel stain dries pretty quickly, thankfully! [instagram-feed num=9 cols=9 showheader=true showbutton=true buttoncolor=#53bac1 showfollow=true]. It came out a nice matte-ish look that goes perfectly with the rustic feel of the surrounding flooring. Consider using it on outdated end tables, coffee tables, dressers, … ». A gel stain should be fine. Nice job here!! I think you will be thrilled! Wood Finish Oil-Based Penetrating Stain; Wood Finish Water-Based Penetrating Stain; Gel Stain; PolyShades® Design Series; Express Color… I’m always sharing in my stories as I’m doing projects, finding new furniture, fun finds….just all the day to day behind the scenes. Less oil based poly coats, and hopefully, less yellowing. No worries about any poly coat on the wood either? xoxo. Minwax Wood Finish Water-Based Stain Royal Pine Water-Based Interior Stain (Quart) Item #1658597. Gel Stains Water Based Wood Stain Water Based Paints, Pearl Effects & Glazes. and so EASY! Hi Nancy, You found the perfect gel stain color and your stairs and handrail look awesome! Good luck and have fun with your project! NOTE: Due to variances in computer monitors, colors displayed may vary from actual stain colors… Next, I gave them all a very light sanding by hand with a fine grit sandpaper. Our stair project is still at a stand-still boooo! Someone may have already asked this but I didn’t see it. I don’t really have much advice although just about every room here had some form of it when we moved in!lol I think perforating it so the solution can get behind it is my best advice. Test stain on hidden area to verify desired color. Haha, thanks, Gwen!! Awesome!! It was so dang easy and all I was thinking about was the gel stain I used when I created that pin. Thank you! Seriously? Looks great and add so much more dimension to the stairs. I did the same thing, went through several before I found the right one. I actually find having wood finished stairs less slippery than typical carpeted stairs. See those nice straight lines?? This would be my only concern. You can find all the info on the flooring >>> here. That’s for sure. I am going to look into this stain for our stairs which need refinishing. Gel stains are not good for pine… Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xoxo. Thank you for sharing this with me. Yippee!! Update stairs with gel stain….it’s a no brainer really! Want tips, ideas, inspiration & more?? That is just awesome! Your stairs look fabulous, BTW! (in the gray Materials List box) It’s by Minwax and it was the perfect color! My vision… a “Country-Charm-Coffee Table”. Hmm, not sure about the water rings. I’m trying to decide on a second coat. And haha, you sound like me. The different colors would have driven me crazy too! ;) xo. lol I’m so thrilled with how easily and beautifully this one wrapped up though! SO much easier than stripping them down and using regular stain. Gel based stains provide a rich, uniform color for wood, fiberglass, metal and other non-wood surfaces. Hi Chelsea! I have original wood flooring in my bedrooms that have that orangy color. But it doesn’t really have to be. It is so calming to me.) Alright, I’m off to DIY! SO very glad I did! You don’t even really have to worry about swirl marks, applications marks, etc, as you are applying it. Yes, we love Sea Salt around here. :) Did you do that with the poly as well? Honey Pine. If you missed that post, you can see all about our new floor here >>> Affordable Rustic Laminate Flooring, Our floors had previously been natural, unstained oak (in areas) so the stair treads went perfectly with it! ;) So I did it first thing in the morning and left for the day. ), Sherwin Williams Sea Salt (gorgeous coastal "neutral"! xoxo, Good Morning, Nancy, I just finished my stairs with the gel stain. I first applied a coat of Minwax Pre-Stain wood conditioner to all the pieces, except the first block. Minwax does have a product called Complete 1-Step Floor Finish that is basically the same thing, however, I have not used it so I can’t say how the application of that product is. Want to see some of these projects in “live” time? I’ve even re-done lamps and coffee tables, picture frames, my bookcases that flank my fireplace, I’ve whitewashed my fireplace brick, etc. Thank you, Sabrina! :) General Finishes Golden Pine Gel Stain Pint. I have been thinking about painting the step that go down into the garage from the house, but I love your idea so much more. Have you seen the flooring? I know that some polyurethanes will make them darker. Not so much. Hi! That went very quickly because it was only meant to take a touch of shine off. But I don’t think either are as bad as the really dark wood floors. Compare; Find My Store. Good luck with whatever you decide! Once you're satisfied with the color, apply General Finishes's satin gel … Thanks, Michele! And yes, I am just so happy with how my stairs turned out. Nov 23, 2017 - Explore Julie North's board "Stain pine" on Pinterest. Your email address will not be published. Love your blog! What color/brand did you use on the stairs? Yes, only lightly as I did on the stairs. … I’m going to get an estimate to refinish but am also wondering if I can tackle with gel stain on the floors…? xoxo. :) It’s a great neutral! Shall we d, Cue the Christmas lights! Yes, look into this, I’m so glad I did…and so glad I did it this way! Stairs, rails, stools, furniture, yes all the way, but floors, I don’t think I would. And just perseverance! Perfect to update stairs or any wood in your home, like kitchen cabinets. (My kitchen & hallway were done, by me, 3 years ago, in that and Ive One way to help this is to apply a Pre-Stain wood conditioner. Just get it all covered. Qty . i must say that i thought you were nuts, the color of my stair treads would be the last thing i would worry about! Want more tips, ideas & inspiration? Thanks, Courtney! I’m so happy you have enjoyed following along on all the updates! Well, now I have the answer!!! I did the same with the poly top coat. ), Build Your Own Built In Bookcase – Tutorial, How To Paint Light Fixtures Without Removing Them, How To Build a Permanently Attached Wall Coat Rack. I love how this turned out. Happy girl here. Well, I didn’t worry about it since last fall anyway! This post is exactly what I needed, thankyou! Plus Get My FREE eBook "Creating Fabulous Finishes"! You don’t want to leave excess because it will be gummy and sticky. Until I came across your site I had also planned to paint a faux runner! Especially if they are really glossy, you will want to remove some of that shine first. With the oak cabinets, the grain was very evident post-staining. Weatherwash Pined stain ages pine, poplar, pallets to a mix of grays and browns.Turn new wood into reclaimed or weathered wood in minutesWeatherwash Pined stain ages pine, poplar, pallets to a mix of grays and brownsExact shade depends on wood species, check color chartVOC freeSimply brush onto wood and let wood air dry for 60 minutesFor darker shades, layer a second coat of stainCoverage Gallon = 400 SQFT; Quart = 100 … We are in the process of moving and our new house is going to need a lot of updating. One of the ones I mentioned. :) xo, Thank you, Robyn! This is EXACTLY what this whole blog is all about. Plus I actually won’t mind if they get a little more “rustic” looking. Hmm, how big of an area? Definitely saving to try later! Don't you love it when a DIY surprises even yourse, Two exciting things are going on today. The dark wood with the white is just beautiful. I do have a question, do the steps become slippery with the poly sealer? xoxo. I missed this post earlier this year and am glad that I got to enjoy it today. I adore this brand. BUT not kidding when I say it was ridiculously simple. Your home updates have been amazing! Thanks for this lovely idea, “staining with gel.”, Thanks so much, Ivory! Have not used on floors but on old white painted trim. They do show up more! And no, no change at all! we just put a contract on a home and our offer was accepted! SO much easier than the whole sanding down and all that. Thank you so much, Nancy!! You never disappoint! Two coats might cover it fully. A deep, rich wood stain color plus a white paint over the top will look weathered after distressing. Just brush it on and let it set for about 20 minutes, then you can apply the stain of your choice. There is no shortage of options, when it comes to choosing an interior stain color… But would I do this on an entire wood floor, no way! I’ve read about a lot of success with gel stains, but wasn’t really sure what the whole process would be like. No issues whatsoever! This diy project is something I will be doing this summer, so I can open the windows after staining. Minwax Pickled Oak. :). Just dip the rag in the gel stain and wipe onto the stair treads. Minwax Wood Finish Water-Based Stain Barn Red Water-Based Interior Stain … Thanks, Kaycee! It has its place and works well for quite a few applications but does have its limitations. That was confusing. After 14 years, they need to be refinished, too. So crazy how different and finished off it all looks now. thanks! (with blue tape because I was out of my favorite FrogTape…and that was a mistake!!! I tried a couple colors and found a true winner. ... Click to add item "Varathane® Premium Interior Oil-Base Gel Stain - 1/2 pt." :). Oh, I’ve got a direct link to the stain in the post. Select a Minwax ® Gel Stain color that corresponds to the darkest color of the wood grain you are trying to create. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. I can not tell you how happy that makes me to hear, Michele. It’s a sleepless night in MI, and even with the CoVid19 Pandemic ruling our lives presently …. OH no!! On the General Finishes pamphlet, it states that this Gel Stain “…produces an even finish on hard to stain woods such as Aspen, Pine or Maple”. This customer likes pine, but I know she would not like this. :) This is the perfect time to stay in and get all those house projects done. By the way what product and color is your floor? Sign up to get the Weekly Newsletter! That ceiling light shade used to be darker, goldish/tan. See more ideas about staining wood, stain on pine, wood stain colors. We just need to add the railing back though! It has a golden color but remains very light. Thanks so much, Christina! Yes, this is a great idea for that. XOXO, Thanks Christy!! I know we will be working on ours! And it doesn’t seem like it was too hard… Isn’t it crazy sometimes how long it takes to start a project because you imagine it will be so hard? I’ve also had great success using gel varnish. Re-purposing and chalk painting, re-designing my home… It’s become a whole new hobby for me now! I put laminate downstairs, and plan on doing upstairs as well, but what has had be stuck was what the heck was I going to do with my orangey pine stairs. Then literally just work in into and onto the wood. This stain added very little color to any of the boards, (maybe slightly lighter … But not so much with our new flooring. Gel stain works well on nonporous wood such as Masonite and hardboard because it doesn't enhance the wood grain. Fixing a really bad stain color or the wrong stain color with gel stain is a great alternative to stripping furniture back down to bare wood. Both are great colors. This was really a simple solution for me. Pick Your Color . Perfect match to your floor. Have fun with your stairs and stay well!! :), Ohh, haha, okay! Required fields are marked *. ;) Anyway, hope that helps! lol xo, Can the gel stain work on a hardwood floor. This is the answer I needed for my almost 100 year old house with hardwood stair treads! Refinish all the way. That was fun since all of our bedrooms are up. I have been looking for a way to restain my dining room table – will this cover up water rings too do you think? thank you! I have stairs that look almost exactly like yours. With Sherwin-Williams stain colors, you can let the natural wood shine through, match grain colors or cover unsightly blemishes. Thank you for recommending this! :) Also, I know, finding out about this gel stain is going to come in very handy, as well. So happy with it. Now (thanks to your post) I’m about to tackle two painted staircases! Tip from Andrea Allred: Dry brush Gray Gel Stain on top the next day for a … But I would think mostly as a decorative thing. I knew I’d have to tackle them soon but managed to put it off for a little while. :) Happy New Year, Paula! When I came back, it was “dry enough” that I could use the paper on it. By the way, your home looks tremendous, and very Welcoming …. Did you notice that with the polyurethane that you used? So much so that we are putting it in our upstairs master closet and bedroom remodel AND in our entire beach condo later this summer. I used a Satin finish for the poly but was worried it was going to be too shiny when I applied it. It does the job and gets them nice and clean.
Webm To Mp3, Garlic Bread Pizza Pizza, Osrs Crafting Profit, The Power Of The Blessing Sermon, Feren Os Based On, Heat Action Clothing, Poverty And Inequality In The Philippines, Mac Lung Disease Progression, Housatonic River Striper Fishing Report, Rooted In The Word Of God 2 Timothy 2:15, Jillian Michaels App On Computer, Vegetable Dish Recipes,